I'm still pretty shallow on this topic & this thread, so forgive if I'm
restating or missing things.

My understanding is that the Spark runner does support Beam's triggering
semantics for unbounded aggregations, using the same support code from
runners/core that all runners use. Relevant code in SparkTimerInternals and
SparkGroupAlsoByWindowViaWindowSet.

IIRC timers are stored in state, scanned each microbatch to see which are
eligible. I don't see an immediate barrier to having timer loops. I don't
know about performance of this approach, but currently the number of timers
per shard (key+window) is bounded by their declarations in code, so it is a
tiny number unless codegenerated. We do later want to have dynamic timers
(some people call it a TimerMap by analogy with MapState) but I haven't
seen a design or even a sketch that I can recall.

Kenn