> Graal would not be a viable solution for the reasons Henning and Andrew
> mentioned, or put in other words, when users choose a programming language
> they don’t choose only a ‘friendly’ syntax or programming model, they
> choose also the ecosystem that comes with it, and the libraries that make
> their life easier. However isolating these user libraries/dependencies is a
> hard problem and so far the standard solution to this problem is to use
> operating systems containers via docker.

Graal solves that Ismael. Same kind of experience than running npm libs on
nashorn but with a more unified API to run any language soft.

> The Beam vision from day zero is to run pipelines written in multiple
> languages in runners in multiple systems, and so far we are not doing this
> in particular in the Apache runners. The portability work is the cleanest
> way to achieve this vision given the constraints.

Hmm, did I read it wrong and we don't have specific integration of the
portable API in runners? This is what is messing up the runners and
limiting beam adoption on existing runners.
Portable API is a feature buildable on top of runner, not in runners.
Same as a runner implementing the 5-6 primitives can run anything, the
portable API should just rely on that and not require more integration.
It doesn't prevent more deep integrations as for some higher level
primitives existing in runners but it is not the case today for runners so
shouldn't exist IMHO.

> I agree however that for the Java SDK to Java runner case this can
> represent additional pain, docker ideally should not be a requirement for
> Java users with the Direct runner and debugging a pipeline should be as
> easy as it is today. I think the Univerrsal Local Runner exists to cover
> the Portable case, but after looking at this JIRA I am not sure if
> unification is coming (and by consequence if docker would be mandatory).
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-4239
>
> I suppose for the distributed runners that they must implement the full
> Portability APIs to be considered Beam multi language compliant but they
> can prefer for performance reasons to translate without the portability
> APIs the Java to Java case.

This is my issue, language portability must NOT impact runners at all, it
is just a way to forward primitives to a runner.
See it as a layer rewriting the pipeline and submitting it. No need to
modify any runner.