Yes, I think the separation of generated code will need to occur prior to
completing the merge and switching the web site to the main repo.

There should be no reason to check generated documentation into either of
the repos/branches. Please see as an example how this was solved in Flink,
using the ASF buildbot <https://ci.apache.org/buildbot.html> infrastructure.

Documentation per version/release, for example:

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.5/

The buildbot configuration is here (requires committer access):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/buildbot/aegis/buildmaster/master1/projects/flink.conf

Thanks,
Thomas