Thanks for your suggestions. Please see below.

> Option 3) would be to map in the docker binary and socket to allow
> the containerized Flink job server to start "sibling" containers on
> the host.

Do you mean packaging Docker inside the Job Server container and
mounting /var/run/docker.sock from the host inside the container? That
looks like a bit of a hack but for testing it could be fine.

> notably, if the runner supports auto-scaling or similar non-trivial
> configurations, that would be difficult to manage from the SDK side.

You're right, it would be unfortunate if the SDK would have to deal with
spinning up SDK harness/backend containers. For non-trivial
configurations it would probably require an extended protocol.

> Option 4) We are also thinking about adding process based SDKHarness.
> This will avoid docker in docker scenario.

Actually, I had started implementing a process-based SDK harness but
figured it might be impractical because it doubles the execution path
for UDF code and potentially doesn't work with custom dependencies.

> Process based SDKHarness also has other applications and might be
> desirable in some of the production use cases.

True. Some users might want something more lightweight.