On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:23 AM Maximilian Michels <m...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for your proposal Henning. +1 for explicit environment messages.
> I'm not sure how important it is to support cross-platform pipelines. I
> can foresee future use but I wouldn't consider it essential.

One may want to execute Tensforflow pipeline segments from the middle
of a Java pipeline, or leverage the SQL code (currently implemented in
Java) from Python or Go. In my experience, a common pipeline shape is
to do a significant amount of (often fairly trivial) filtering at the
front of a pipeline, and sophisticated analysis at the end, and the
tradeoffs of execution efficiency vs. expressiveness and prototype
friendliness are different in these two halves of the same pipeline.

> However, it
> basically comes for free if we extend the existing environment
> information for ExecutableStage. The overhead, as you said, is negligible.

+1. Also it should be noted that the runner is ideally not restricted
to this set of environments; if it understands the URN it can use
whatever environment it finds appropriate. This could be especially
useful for optimal choice of environment to avoid unneeded fusion
barriers (e.g. the trivial Count transform will has a pair-with-one
before the GBK, and a sum-values after the GBK, and assuming those
operations are available in nearly every environment it would be
preferable to choose the variant according to what precedes/follows it
to allow fusion (or, possibly, even embed the operation).

> Also agree that artifact staging is important even with process-based
> execution. The execution environment might be managed externally but we
> still want to be able to execute new pipelines without copying over
> required artifact. That said, a first version could come without
> artifact staging.

One of the parameters passed to the script is the staging endpoint,
which it can use to do all the staging itself, so this could also be
internal to the script. I can however see wanting the ability to stage
artifacts more cheaply (e.g. symlinks), and this is actually also the
case with the docker environment (e.g. mount points).