Thank you JB for starting this discussion.

Others comment on many of these points far better than I can, but my
experience is similar to JB.

1. IDEA integration (and laptop slowing like crazy) being the biggest
contributor to my feeling of being unproductive
2. Not knowing the correct way to modify the build scripts which I put down
to my own limitations

It seems we also need to help build Gradle expertise in our community, so
> that those that are motivated are empowered to contribute.

Nicely phrased. +1