I can accept (but never love) a sidebar that isn't a site map. Personally,
I find them disorienting and they lower my confidence in the quality and
authoritativeness of the content. But I understand I am just one person,
composed of idiosyncracies.

I actually think that the contents of Community > Contact Us are not
contextualized for an incoming contributor. How about "Contribute > Get
Help": a page more focused on contributors, clarifying the role of
different communication channels and the PMC/Committers roster for getting
a change build and incorporated. It could also subsume the off-site FAQ
link.

Kenn