I think the idea is that you would use one coder for paths where you don't
need this information and would have FileIO provide a separate path that
uses your updated coder.
Existing users would not be impacted and users of the new FileIO that
depend on this information would not be able to have updated their pipeline
in the first place.

If the feature in FileIO is experimental, we could choose to break it for
existing users though since I don't know how feasible my suggestion above
is.