The way I read Thomas' original email is that it's generally not a nice sign for a contributor if her work gets reverted. We all come from different backgrounds. For some, reverting is just a tool to get the job done, for others it might come across as offensive.

I know of communities where reverting is the absolute last resort. Now, Beam needs to find its own way. I think there are definitive advantages to reverting quickly.

In the most obvious case, when our tests are broken and a fix is not viable, reverting unblocks other contributors to test their code. I think this has been working fine in the past.

In the less obvious case, an external Runner or system is broken due to an update in the master. IMHO this does not warrant an immediate revert on its own. As already mentioned, there should be some justification for a rollback. This is not to make people's life harder but to figure out whether the problem can be solved upstream or downstream, or with a combination of both.

I think Thomas wanted to address this latter case. It seems like we're all more or less on the same page. The core problem is more related to communicating reverts in a way that helps contributors to save face and the community to work efficiently.

Thanks,
Max