setup.py has requirements like setuptools, which are installed in the
virtual environment.
So even running the clean command requires the virtualenv to be set up.

A possible fix could be to skip :beam-sdks-python:cleanPython if
setupVirtualenv has not been run. (perhaps by checking for the existence of
its output directory
<https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/94322f3b138d9b4d5ca69b3d18645e5eb3267b23/buildSrc/src/main/groovy/org/apache/beam/gradle/BeamModulePlugin.groovy#L1565>
)