Thinking about Arrow + Beam SQL + schemas:

 - Obviously many SQL operations could be usefully accelerated by arrow /
columnar. Especially in the analytical realm this is the new normal. For
ETL, perhaps less so.

 - Beam SQL planner (pipeline construction) is implemented in Java, and so
the various DoFns/CombineFns that implement projection, filter, etc, are
also in Java.
    - Arrow is of course available in Java.
    - Presumably there is a pandas counterpart in Java. Is there? Do you
know?
    - But perhaps if these building blocks emitted by the planner had
well-defined URNs we could use SIMD+columnar Java or Python implementation
opportunistically to avoid cross-language data channels. (thinking ahead to
when cross-language allows Python pipelines to invoke the construction-time
planner implemented in Java)

 - Is it valuable for Beam to invent its own schemas? I'd love for Beam to
have identical schema affordances to either protobuf or arrow or avro, with
everything layered on that as logical types (including SQL types). What
would it look like if Beam schemas were more-or-less Arrow schemas?

 - For the event timestamp issue, there are two levels of abstraction I
could imagine improvements:
    - at the model layer (aka portability protos) we could make Beam
columnar batch aware. That's a huge change and would need a massive
justification IMO in the form of performance numbers.
    - at the SDK layer, some language might make it pretty easy to overload
the "GroupByKey" transform to understand that for elements that are really
batches there are multiple timestamps contained within so it may need to
window & group differently. The model doesn't need to know in this case.

Kenn