Hi,

this is starting to be really exciting. It seems to me that there is either something wrong with my definition of "Unified model" or with how it is implemented inside (at least) Direct and Flink Runners.

So, first what I see as properties of Unified model:

 a) streaming semantics (i.e. what I can express using Transforms) are subset of batch semantics

  - this is true, batch semantics and streaming semantics differs only in that I can have GlobalWindow with default trigger on batch and cannot on stream

 b) runtime conditions of batch have to be subset of streaming conditions

  - this is because otherwise it might be intractable to run streaming pipeline on batch engine

  - generally this is also true - in batch mode watermark advances only between two states (-inf and +inf), which makes it possible to turn (most) stateful operations into group by key operations, and take advantage of many other optimizations (ability to re-read inputs make it possible to drop checkpointing, etc, etc)

Now there is also one not so obvious runtime condition of streaming engines - that is how skewed watermark and event time of elements being processed can be - if this gets too high (i.e. watermark is not moving, and/or elements are very out-of-order, then the processing might become intractable, because everything might have to be buffered).

On batch engines, this is generally not an issue, because the buffering is eliminated by sorting - when a Group by operation occurs, batch runners sort elements with the same key to be together and therefore eliminate the need for potentially infinite cache.

When this turns out to be an issue, is whenever there is a stateful ParDo operation, because then (without sorting) there is violation of property b) - on streaming engine the difference between element timestamp and watermark will tend to be generally low (and late events will be dropped to restrict the size of buffers), but on batch it can be arbitrarily large and therefore size buffers that would be needed is potentially unbounded.

This line of thinking leads me to a conclusion, that if Beam doesn't (on purpose) sort elements before stateful ParDo by timestamp, then it basically violates the Unified model, because pipelines with stateful ParDo will not function properly on batch engines. Which is what I observe - there is non determinism on batch pipeline although everything seems to be "well defined", elements arrive arbitrarily out of order and are arbitrarily out of order dropped. This leads to different results everytime batch pipeline is run.

Looking forward to any comments on this.

Jan