This discussion brings many really interesting questions for me. :-)

> I don't see batch vs. streaming as part of the model. One can have microbatch, or even a runner that alternates between different modes.

Although I understand motivation of this statement, this project name is "Apache Beam: An advanced unified programming model". What does the model unify, if "streaming vs. batch" is not part of the model?

Using microbatching, chaining of batch jobs, or pure streaming are exactly the "runtime conditions/characteristics" I refer to. All these define several runtime parameters, which in turn define how well/badly will the pipeline perform and how many resources might be needed. From my point of view, pure streaming should be the most resource demanding (if not, why bother with batch? why not run everything in streaming only? what will there remain to "unify"?).

> Fortunately, for batch, only the state for a single key needs to be preserved at a time, rather than the state for all keys across the range of skew. Of course if you have few or hot keys, one can still have issues (and this is not specific to StatefulDoFns).

Yes, but here is still the presumption that my stateful DoFn can tolerate arbitrary shuffling of inputs. Let me explain the use case in more detail.

Suppose you have input stream consisting of 1s and 0s (and some key for each element, which is irrelevant for the demonstration). Your task is to calculate in running global window the actual number of changes between state 0 and state 1 and vice versa. When the state doesn't change, you don't calculate anything. If input (for given key) would be (tN denotes timestamp N):

 t1: 1

 t2: 0

 t3: 0

 t4: 1

 t5: 1

 t6: 0

then the output should yield (supposing that default state is zero):

 t1: (one: 1, zero: 0)

 t2: (one: 1, zero: 1)

 t3: (one: 1, zero: 1)

 t4: (one: 2, zero: 1)

 t5: (one: 2, zero: 1)

 t6: (one: 2, zero: 2)

How would you implement this in current Beam semantics?

> Pipelines that fail in the "worst case" batch scenario are likely to degrade poorly (possibly catastrophically) when the watermark falls behind in streaming mode as well.

But the worst case is defined by input of size (available resources + single byte) -> pipeline fail. Although it could have finished, given the right conditions.

> This might be reasonable, implemented by default by buffering everything and releasing elements as the watermark (+lateness) advances, but would likely lead to inefficient (though *maybe* easier to reason about) code.

Sure, the pipeline will be less efficient, because it would have to buffer and sort the inputs. But at least it will produce correct results in cases where updates to state are order-sensitive.

> Would it be roughly equivalent to GBK + FlatMap(lambda (key, values): [(key, value) for value in values])?

I'd say roughly yes, but difference would be in the trigger. The trigger should ideally fire as soon as watermark (+lateness) crosses element with lowest timestamp in the buffer. Although this could be somehow emulated by fixed trigger each X millis.

> Or is the underlying desire just to be able to hint to the runner that the code may perform better (e.g. require less resources) as skew is reduced (and hence to order by timestamp iff it's cheap)?

No, the sorting would have to be done in streaming case as well. That is an imperative of the unified model. I think it is possible to sort by timestamp only in batch case (and do it for *all* batch stateful pardos without annotation), or introduce annotation, but then make the same guarantees for streaming case as well.

Jan