I agree with the sentiment on this thread. Our priority needs to be
offering good python 3 support that we can comfortably recommend users to
switch. Progress on that so far has been promising and I do anticipate that
we will reach there in the near future.

My proposal would be, once we reach to that state, we can mark the first
subsequent Beam release as the last Beam release that supports Python 2.
(Alternatively: in line with the previous experimental/deprecated
discussion we can make 2 more release with python 2 support rather than
just 1 more.) With the current state, we would not give users plenty of
time to upgrade python 3. So in addition, I would suggest we can consider
and upgrade relief by offering something like a 6-month support on the last
python 2 compatible release. We might do that in the context of an LTS
release.

I do not believe we have a timeline we can share with users at this point.
However if we go with this suggestion, we will probably support python 2
approximately until mid-2020.

Ahmet