Cutting the next release branch is not equal to starting the release
vote. In the past we have cut the branch even if there are still open
issues and then give people some days to trim their issues.

So the release manager should create the release branch in the
specified date and sync with the people working on the open issues so
they cherry pick their PRs in the release branch if needed or move
them to the next release and start the vote ONLY when the open issue
list [1] count gets down to 0.

Note: We can propose a different alternative but this has been
effective in the past and gives contributors time to fix things to
solve critical/blocker issues or issues that somehow need to be
synced/discussed. Creating new RCs is ‘long’ and not yet 100%
automated (so error-prone), also votes take long, so the less
RCs/votes we have to do the better:

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-7478?jql=project%20%3D%20BEAM%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.14.0