@Thomas do you think this is a problem of documentation, or a missing
feature?

We did not add support for it without cython because the cost of locking
and checking every 200ms in Python would be too high - that's why this is
only implemented in the optimized Cython codepath. I think it makes sense
to document this, rather than adding the support, as it would be really
expensive. What are your thoughts?

Best
-P.