I would recommend that the known issue notice about this source at least be
strongly worded - this source in the current state should be marked "DO NOT
USE" - it will produce data loss in *most* production use cases. That still
leaves the risk that people will use it anyway; up to folks driving the
release to decide whether it's worth cutting a new candidate for the sake
of just temporarily removing this source, or a notice in release notes is
sufficient.