> I don't understand why this replacement is necessary, since the next
>>> transform in the chain is a java ParDo that seems like it should be fully
>>> capable of using PubsubMessageWithAttributesCoder.
>>>

> Not too familiar with Flink, but have you tried using PubSub source from a
> pure Java Flink pipeline ? I expect this to work but haven't tested it. If
> that works agree that the coder replacement sounds strange.

Just spoke with my co-worker and he confirmed that Pubsub Read works in
pure Java on Flink.  We're going to test sending the same Java pipeline
through the portable runner next.  Our hypothesis is that it will *not*
work.  If it *does*, then that means it's something specific to how the
transforms are created when using the expansion service.

-chad