It's been talked about, but nobody's done anything. There as some
difficulties related to type conversion (json and avro don't support the
same types), but if those are overcome then an avro version would be much
more efficient. I believe Parquet files would be even more efficient if you
wanted to go that path, but there might be more code to write (as we
already have some code in the codebase to convert between TableRows and
Avro).

Reuven