On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 6:26 AM Maximilian Michels <m...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback thus far. Some more comments:
>
> > Instead, the runner knows ahead of time that it
> > will need to instantiate this coder, and should update the bundle
> > processor to specify KvCoder<LengthPrefixCoder<CustomCoder>,
> > VarIntCoder> as the coder so both can pull it out in a consistent way.
>
> By "update the bundle processor", do you mean modifying the
> ProcessBundleDescriptor's BagUserState with the correct key coder?
> Conceptually that is possible, but the current implementation does not
> allow for this to happen:
> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/076a037e53ca39b61c1dfeb580527bc8d0371dc1/runners/java-fn-execution/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/fnexecution/control/ProcessBundleDescriptors.java#L284
> It enforces ByteString which does not tell the SDK Harness anything
> about the desired encoding.

I meant update the BundleProcessDescriptor proto that is sent to the
SDK
https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/model/fn-execution/src/main/proto/beam_fn_api.proto#L140,
essentially option (1).

> Since the above does not seem feasible, I see the following options:
>
> (1) Modify the pipeline Proto before the translation and wrap a
> LengthPrefixCoder around non-standard key coders for stateful
> transforms. This would change the encoding for the entire element, to be
> sure that the key coder for state requests contains a LengthPrefixCoder
> for state requests from the SDK Harness. Not optimal.

Yes. The contract should be that both the runner and SDK use the
coders that are specified in the proto. The runner controls the proto,
and should ensure it only sends protos it will be able to handle the
SDK responding to. I'm not seeing why this is sub-optimal.

> (2) Add a new method WireCoders#instantiateRunnerWireKeyCoder which
> returns the correct key coder, i.e. for standard coders, the concrete
> coder, and for non-standard coders a ByteArrayCoder. We also need to
> ensure the key encoding on the Runner side is OUTER context, to avoid
> adding a length prefix to the encoded bytes. Basically, the non-standard
> coders result in a NOOP coder which does not touch the key bytes.

I'd really like to avoid implicit agreements about how the coder that
should be used differs from what's specified in the proto in different
contexts.

> (3) Patch the Python SDK to ensure non-standard state key coders are
> always wrapped in a LengthPrefixCoder. That way, we can keep the
> existing logic on the Runner side.

The key concept here is not "standard coder" but "coder that the
runner does not understand." This knowledge is only in the runner.
Also has the downside of (2).