Hi,

I feel a "soft consensus" :) that people see some benefits of introducing (possibly optional) process of proposing new features.

I think that in order to proceed with this we need to agree on goals that we want to achieve. Whether the process should or should not be optional, which form it should have, and answers on all these other questions could be answered after that.

So, I'll try to state some issues I see with our current approach, please feel free to correct any of them, or add any other:

 - due to the "soft consensus" approach, we actually delegate the final responsibility of "feature acceptance" to reviewer(s) - these might or might not be happy with that

 - by splitting this into first-consensus-then-implementation-then-review approach, we remove the burden of responsibility of respective feature from reviewers - they can focus only on the main purpose of the review - that is verifying the quality of code

 - as mentioned before, this brings better visibility to (core) features

 - and last but not least makes it possible to prioritize work and build more complex long-term goals

I think it is essential to have a consensus on whether or not these are some points we want to target (that is, we see our current approach as sub-optimal in these areas) or not.

Jan