Semantically though, since you want the CalendarWindow aggregation to be
based on login timestamps, the watermark should be tracking the login
timestamps. The watermark is a way for the CalendarWindow to know that as
far as the system knows, there will be no more events that fall into that
window. You say that long sessions are holding back the watermark, but
that's exactly because those long sessions mean that there is still data
pending for that CalendarWindow, so it is still incomplete! The above
techniques might appear to solve this, but do so at the expense of somewhat
randomly causing data to be late or worse dropped.

There are a couple of ways I would address this:

1. The simplest would be to allow the watermark to track the login window,
but put a trigger on the CalendarWindow (e.g. trigger every 10 seconds).
That way whenever the trigger fires you can update the results so far for
that window. This means that the majority of session that are complete can
be output without needing to wait for the long sessions, yet the window
will remain open waiting for those long sessions to complete.

2. Another possibility is to explicitly identify those extra-long sessions,
and handle them differently. This I think is a better solution than the
above timestampSkew solution, because it's deterministic: you know exactly
which sessions you are handling differently. I would do this by using the
state+timers API to calculate the sessions, instead of the sessions
WindowFn. When a session is overly long, then you can stop setting the
watermark hold for the login time, essentially removing that long session
from the watermark calculation.

One possibility for how to handle the long sessions "differently" would
still involve using withAllowedTimestampSkew. This still risks losing some
of these (if the skew ever happens to be larger than the static value you
set, you'll not be about to output the session). However now you know
you're limiting the skewed output to only those specific long sessions
you've chosen, which is much better than emitting all records with skew and
hoping that things work out.

Reuven