On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 9:52 PM Kenneth Knowles <k...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:38 AM Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Kenneth Knowles <k...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > IIRC in Java it is forbidden to output an element with a timestamp
>> outside its current window.
>>
>> I don't think this is checked anywhere. (Not sure how you would check
>> it, as there's not generic window containment function--I suppose you
>> could check if it's past the end of the window (and of course skew
>> limits how far you can go back). I suppose you could try re-windowing
>> and then fail if it didn't agree with what was already there.
>>

> I think you are right. This is governed by how a runner invoked utilities
> from runners-core (output ultimately reaches this point without validation:
> https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/master/runners/core-java/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/core/SimpleDoFnRunner.java#L258
> )
>

>> > An exception is outputs from @FinishBundle, where the output timestamp
>> is required and the window is applied. TBH it seems more of an artifact of
>> a mismatch between the pre-windowing and post-windowing worlds.
>>
>> Elements are always in some window, even if just the global window.
>>

> I mean that the existence of a window-unaware @FinishBundle method is an
> artifact of the method existing prior to windowing as a concept. The idea
> that a user can use a DoFn's local variables to buffer stuff and then
> output in @FinishBundle predates the existence of windowing.
>
> > Most of the time, mixing processing across windows is simply wrong. But
>> there are fears that calling @FinishBundle once per window would be a
>> performance problem. On the other hand, don't most correct implementations
>> have to separate processing for each window anyhow?
>>
>> Processing needs to be done per window iff the result depends on the
>> window or if there are side effects.
>>
>> > Anyhow I think the Java behavior is better, so window assignment
>> happens exactly and only at window transforms.
>>
>> But then one ends up with timestamps that are unrelated to the windows,
>> right?
>>

> As far as the model goes, I think windows provide an upper bound but not a
> lower bound. If we take the approach that windows are a "secondary key with
> a max timestamp" then the timestamps should be related to the window in the
> sense that they are <= the window's max timestamp.

A window only makes sense when a trigger or timer is fired. And the
timestamp of the elements in the window should be within the window's time
range when a trigger is set. For consistency, I think element timestamp
should remain within the corresponding time range at every stage of the
graph.
IIUC based on the discussion, users can violate this requirement easily in
the pipeline code which might give inconsistent behavior across runners.

I think we should stick to a consistent behavior across languages and
runners. We have multiple options here like
1. Don't have any promised correlation between element timestamp and
window. Window will just behave like a secondary key for the element.
2. Making it explicit that the last window function can be applied out of
order anytime on the elements.
3. Not letting users change the timestamp without applying a windowing
function after the changed timestamp and before a trigger. Though, this can
only be validated at the runtime in python.
4. Revalidating the window after changing the timestamp. Also provide
additional methods to explicitly change the timestamp and window in oneshot.
5. etc....