Yes, Markdown is possible when using the Releases API.  There I was
referring to the default behavior, where Github displays the tag summary as
raw text if a formal Github release entry wasn't created for the tag.

To create a formal Github release entry (
https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/releases/#create-a-release), it
should be possible to send a POST request to
https://api.github.com/repos/apache/beam/releases