Hi folks,

I recently created a few public Dashboards in Jira, the intention  is to bring
visibility into reported bugs, feature request, development opportunities and
effort distribution. Having visibility into these items can help us make
informed decisions to guide things like: roadmap updates, surface known issues
to users, and make it easy for new contributors to get started.

I'd like to discuss two topics:
- How to keep Jira's input fresh to make these Dashboards more useful
- How to adopt these dashboards to make decisions for the project.

And I'd love feedback on the dashboards themselves:
- Are they useful? How could they be more useful?
- Suggestion on what other views/filters to use
- Ideas to keep improving them

Here's the list and description of the Dashboards I made:

Backlog [1]:
Aims to help make decisions on project roadmap. Pulls tickets opened in the
last 26w (6m), and orders them by votes. The view offers:
On the side panel:
- A pie chart of the distribution of tickets (excluding java and python core*)
- A label heat map to help identify biggest opportunities (exc. python and java
core*)
- Two filter windows to pull tickets related to Spark and Flink runners
On main panel:
- A summary of the tickets by component and issue type (to identify critical
issues pero component)
- A filter publishing all issues
- A view of ticket statistics by status and issue type (to help us understand
effort and opportunity dist.)
* I excluded python and java core components because they dwarf other
components, so exclusion helps provide better view of other components
distribution.

Need triage and Stale [2]:
Aims to help organize newly opened tickets and keep tickets fresh. This
dashboard shows the issues that need triage or have been marked as stale, and
have been created in the last 12w (3m). The view offers:
On the left panel:
- A list of all tickets that need triage or are stale
On the right panel:
- A heat map of components
- A pie chart of issue type
- A view of all labels to help with triage

Starter Tasks [3]:
Aims to help potential contributors identify opportunities to make their first
contribution. This view pulls all tickets marked with labels used for starter
tickets, for all time. It orders the tickets by votes, priority, date created,
and reporter. The view offers:
On the side panel:
- A pie chart of the distribution of tickets by component
- A component heat map
On the main panel:
- A view of all starter tickets by component and issue type, to help make
decisions on urgency/importance
- A view by reporter, to help identify who to reach out with clarifying
questions
- The full list of all available starter issues

Links:
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12335849
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12335923
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa?selectPageId=12335926