I think I'd prefer continuing to use jira, but GitHub issues are certainly
much more discoverable for our users. The Arrow project uses GitHub issues
as a way to funnel users to the mailing lists and JIRA. When users go to
file an issue they're first given two options [1]:

- Ask a question -> Please ask questions at u...@arrow.apache.org
- Report an issue -> Please report bugs and request features on JIRA.

With accompanying links for each option. The user@ link actually takes you
to the new issue page, with a template strongly encouraging you to file a
jira or subscribe to the mailing lists.
Despite all these barriers people do still file github issues, and they
need to be triaged (usually they just receive a comment asking the reporter
to file a jira or linking to an existing jira), but the volume isn't that
high.

Maybe we could consider something like that?

Brian

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/new/choose