+1 to discussing PCollection annotations on a separate thread. It would be
confusing to mix them up.

-----------

The question around conflicts is interesting, but confusing to me. I don't
think they exist in general. I keep coming back around to that it depends
on the annotation and the purpose of composites. Optionality saves us here
too.

Composites are nothing without their internal hypergraph structure.
Eventually it comes down to executing the leaf nodes. The alternative to
executing the leaf nodes is when the composite represents a known transform
and is replaced by the runner on submission time.  Lets look at each.

If there's a property that only exists on the leaf nodes, then it's not
possible to bubble up that property to the composite in all cases.
Afterall, it's not necessarily the case that a privacy preserving transform
maintains the property for all output edges as not all such edges pass
through the preserving transform.

On the other hand, with memory or gpu recommendations, that might set a low
bar on the composite level.

But, composites (any transform really) can be runner replaced. I think it's
fair to say that a runner replaced composite is not beholden to the
annotations of the original leaf transforms, especially around physical
requirements. The implementations are different. If a known composite at
the composite level requires GPUs and it's known replacement doesn't, I'd
posit that replacement was a choice the runner made since it can't
provision machines with GPUs.

But, crucially around privacy annotated transforms, a runner likely
shouldn't replace a given subgraph that contains a privacy annotationed
transform unless the replacements provide the same level of privacy.
However, such replacements only happens with well known transforms with
known properties anyway, so this can serve as an additional layer of
validation for a runner aware of the properties.

This brings me back to my position: that the notion of conflicts is very
annotation dependant, and that defining them as optional is the most
important feature to avoid issues. Conflicts don't exist as an inherent
property of annotations on ptransform of the hypergraph structure. Am i
wrong? No one has come up with an actual example of a conflict as far as i
understand the thread.

Even Reuven's original question is more about whether the runner is forced
to look at leaf bodes rather than only looking at the composite. Assuming
the composite isn't replaced, the runner needs to look at the leaf nodes
regardless. And as discussed above there's no generalized semantics that
fit for all kinds of annotations, once replacements are also considered.