I agree this is a good idea. I remember my first experience with Beam
development - I ran through the steps at [1] and had `./gradlew check`
fail. I don't think I ever got it working before moving on and just running
more specific tasks.
It would be great if we had a reliable way for new contributors to
establish an environment that can successfully run `./gradlew check`.

Niels Basjes' PR (https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/13308) seems to be
close to that, so I think we should focus on getting that working and
iterate from there. Omar concurred with that in
https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/12837.

[1] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/#development-setup