Hello Jozef this change was not introduced in the PR you referenced,
that PR was just a refactor.
The conflicting change was added in [1] via [2] starting on Beam 2.29.0.

It is not clear for me why this was done but maybe Kyle Weaver or
someone else have a better context.

Let's continue the discussion on the issue. For me the right solution
is to remove the extra event logging listener but I might be missing
something, in all cases it does not seem the runner is the best place
to deal with this logic, this seems error-prone.

[1] https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/13743/
[2] https://github.com/apache/beam/commit/291ced166af