Agree with Robert here. The human connection is important. Can we have a
behaviorbot that reminds the reviewer to be extra welcoming up front, and
then thankful afterwards, instead? :-)

That said, a bot comment would at least state our intention of being
welcoming and grateful, even if we then do not live up to it perfectly. It
isn't very different than having it in the PR template or
https://beam.apache.org/contribute/ or CONTRIBUTING.md which GitHub
presents to first time contributors. I tend to favor static text that can
be referred to over dynamic text posted by code in special circumstances.
But I think hitting this from all angles, for different sorts of people in
the world, is fine, if the maintenance burden is very low (which it appears
to be)

Kenn