Thanks for putting this together, it will be a really useful feature to
have.

I am in favor of the string-pattern approaches. I think we need to support
both the {record=..., dest_info=...} and the elide-fields approaches, as
the former is nicer when one has a fixed representation for the
output record (e.g. a proto or avro schema) and the flattened form for ease
of use in more free-form contexts (e.g. when producing records from YAML
and SQL).

Also left some comments on the doc.