On 4/6/24 21:23, Reuven Lax via dev wrote:
So the problem here is that windowFn is a property of the PCollection, not the element, and the result of Flatten is a single PCollection.
Yes. That is the cause of why Flatten.pCollections() needs the same windowFn.

In various cases, there is a notion of "compatible" windows. Basically given window functions W1 and W2, provide a W3 that "works" with both.
Exactly this would be a nice feature for Flatten, something like 'windowFn resolve strategy', so that if use does not know the windowFn of upstream PCollections this can be somehow resolved at pipeline construction time. Alternatively only as a small syntactic sugar, something like:

Flatten.pCollections().withWindowingStrategy(WindowResolution.into(oneInput.getWindowingStrategy()))

or anything similar. This can be done in user code, so it is not something deeper, but might help in some cases. It would be cool if we could reuse concepts from other cases where such mechanism is needed.

Note that Beam already has something similar with side inputs, since the side input often is in a different window than the main input. However main input elements are supposed to see side input elements in the same window (and in fact main inputs are blocked until the side-input window is ready), so we must do a mapping. If for example (and very commonly!) the side input is in the global window and the main input is in a fixed window, by default we will remap the global-window elements into the main-input's fixed window.

This is a one-sided merge function, there is a 'main' and 'side' input, but the generic symmetric merge might be possible as well. E.g. if one PCollection of Flatten is in GlobalWindow, I wonder if there are cases where users would actually want to do anything else then apply the same global windowing strategy to all input PCollections.

 Jan

In Side input we also allow the user to control this mapping, so for example side input elements could always map to the previous fixed window (e.g. while processing window 12-1, you want to see summary data of all records in the previous window 11-12). Users can do this by providing a WindowMappingFunction to the View - essentially a function from window to window. Unfortunately this is hard to use (one must create their own PCollectionView class) and very poorly documented, so I doubt many users know about this!

Reuven