Not where in the file, where in the cluster.

Like you said - mapper - in MapReduce the mapper instance will *prefer* to
start on the same machine as the Node hosting it (unless that's changed,
I've been out of touch with MR for a while...).

And for Spark -
https://databricks.gitbooks.io/databricks-spark-knowledge-base/content/performance_optimization/data_locality.html
.

As for Flink, it's a streaming-first engine (sort of the opposite of Spark,
being a batch-first engine) so I *assume* they don't have this notion and
simply "stream" input.

Dataflow - no idea...