On May 21, 2005, at 9:23 PM, David Wilson wrote:

The point I am trying to get to is that the bibliography format should be generated from the information that the user has provided about the work, rather than from the user first have to make a selection from a document type list that is difficulty to fully understand and does not satisfy all the
variation found.

I've not read through the details of your proposal, but I think you're right on this.

I've been experimenting with a "MODS Strict" schema, and on eof things I enforce is genre elements on every level. So, one woud start with an "article" and then choose whether the container is a magazine, newspaper, etc. The logic is motivated by the same observation that types are awkward for entry too.

Bruce