On Jan 14, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Robby Stephenson wrote:

There are pros and cons to each approach (one of the strengths of 1 is
that it could lead to compatibility between Word and Writer, because
CSL would certainly be used in both), and I have no strong opinion.

One issue I see with 1) is what happens when a custom (not installed by
default) XSL file is referenced in the ODF (from your online repository, for example). If the ODF file is opened somewhere else, the CSL file would be orphaned in a sense. Somehow there'd have to be a way to reference its
location elsewhere.

That "XSL" is a typo; right?

I think it makes sense that CSL files always be embedded in the file wrapper, for the same reason I think the bibliographic metadata ought to always be embedded: to keep documents portable and self-contained.

E.g. the online repository (if it ever happens) would store styles, but users would download them.

Bruce