Dear Bruce,

I sent a response concerning this issue to dev@bibliographic.openoffice.org, but
for some reason it doesn't appear to have gone through (especially noticeable
since a few of the list members are having a discussion on the subject several
hours after my post to the list). To paraphrase:

There is already standardized list of abbreviations. One such list is published
by ISSN and is based on the ISO 4 standard. Here are the relevant sources:

ISSN: http://www.issn.org:8080/pub/products/lstwa
ISO:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=3569

Regards,