Hi Bruce,

I wasn't subscribed to the dev- list until just now, so I may have
missed some of the conversation.  But to answer some of your
questions (possibly not in order):

>On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:29 PM, Matt Price wrote:

>> - has very good interaction with endnote, to the point that QUITE
>> technically illiterate scholars can easily up- and down-load
>> references;

>Oh, I missed this. OK.

>I guess where I want to go is to get rid of Endnote, and have a script
>within Word and OOo that allows formatting of references from web
>sources. Clearly that'll take some work though.

That sounds great -- though my preference would not be to get rid of
the desktop application altogether.  There are lots of occasions when
a desktop tool is very handy (e.g., in the library when taking notes
on your aging non-wifi laptop).  In any case I don't have the
impression that such a tool actually exists yet.  Or do you think lots
of the pieces are already out there?

> I think it depends on a few things:
>
> 1) how much money do you have, for what sorts of purposes?

er, probably shouldn't give a number here; among otherthings, this
part ofthe grant is still being worked out.  I would hope, however,
that some money could be diverted to pay for a little (tiny) bit of development.
This question is rather fluid at this point.

> 2) how wedded are your Endnote-based colleagues to that
> application? Must be it Endnote, or might they be happy, for
> example, if they could get the same effect with something else? How
> tolerant of they of DIY solutions?

As you may have gathered -- not necessarily wedded to EndNote per se,
but also not very technically competent.

> 3) what kinds of stuff do you need to store?

a) journal articles, books, chapters -- the standard humanities
reference types;
b) Working Papers of the research group members -- so references
linked to PDF/doc/odt files, perhaps?
c) one individual has a scheme for storing and tagging video clips from
the news (technical details NOT AT ALL thought out at this point).  In
principal such clips might be tied in to the bibliographic system.

Integrating (c) into the bibliography might be a way to ensure that
there's funding to hire someone to do some sql/php/python
programming.  emphasis on *might*.

Matthias Steffens emailed me offlist, and suggested

- Basilic
- EPrints
- Greenstone
- Koha
- refbase
- WIKINDX

of which refbase seemed to me the most immediately intuitive.  I
haven't looked at the codebase yet, but given that it's written in
PHP, interacts well with MODS and bibutils, and that several modified
versions are already in operation elsewhere, I imagine it's not hard
to add features or change the look.  As Bruce mar recall, I'm
something of a fan of RefDB, but that seems quite inappropriate for
this project, given the userbase.

So: look forward to hearing more ideas.

Matt