Sorry for cross-posting, but this is a fairly broad topic ...

I wonder, does what MS is doing with Word 2007 and OXML and citations have any lessons for ODF and OOo?

They are a step away from implementing what we've been advocating for the past couple of years for ODF and OOo (e.g. citation and bibliographic support that is far superior to that currently in OOo), and they are doing it mostly using generic XML (fields, and the custom schema support) and programming structures. There's been talk of some of this in OOo, but nothing has happened.

See my analysis:

<http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2006/06/08/ citations-in-open-xml>

<http://netapps.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/darcusb/archives/2006/06/09/ citation-formatting-in-word-2007>

Bruce