I'm not an expert on this or anything, but given my experience with bibliography software, it seems that discoleo is combining two or three elements of the software I have typically used.  The first is the reference type.  For instance, a reference may be to a journal article, conference proceedings, a website, or a book.  Each of those references requires different fields.  Thus, when you go to enter the reference information you choose the reference type and the respective fields come up for data entry.  In discoleo's post he refers to a few that would fall in these areas: review, case report, image.  Each of these would require specific fields that the others may not require.

The second element of discoleo's comment can be captured by two features in ProCite or EndNote.  You could either use the "group" feature, which can be used to assign articles to different groups.  Using that approach, discoleo could group articles by "basic research" or "theoretical research."  Alternatively, and this is the point David seems to be making, grouping could be done by "keywords."  In this instance, having a field called keywords would allow discoleo to put "theoretical research" in that field for some references and "basic research" in that field for others.  A quick search on the keywords field would pop up the corresponding references.

In short, I agree with David that an additional field for categories, especially discipline specific categories, is not really necessary.  For instance, my bibliography database (managed in ProCite) has the following groups set up given my research interests: "religious exiting," "general religiosity studies," "Mormonism related studies," etc.  99.999% of researchers are not going to want those categories in their bibliographic software.  Allowing people to enter specific types of references then group those references according to their personal organization scheme would solve most of the problem; keywords would solve the rest.

Anyway, my two bits...
Best,

Ryan Cragun
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.genesoc.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
dev Digest 13 Jun 2006 16:19:46 -0000 Issue 323

Topics (messages 1766 through 1766):

Keywords
	1766 by: David Wilson

Administrivia: