Thanks Bruce. Got the download. I really don't want to use XSLT 2 if I can avoid it, just too few options for implementing - I need a solution that I can roll into our ICE project which means using Python, simple stand-alone things that work on Windows, Mac and Linux,  and/or stuff that comes with OOo right now.

The Python code is basically nonexistent, but how far off being useful is the Ruby? Can you give some commentary on what the bits and pieces that are there do and do not do?

I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and start coding in Python - but I really have no idea yet of the scope.

On 6/15/06, Bruce D'Arcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

On Jun 14, 2006, at 7:33 PM, pt wrote:

> Bruce, and others who have been helping, can you give the list an
> update of where CSL and citeproc are at? I remember seeing some stuff
> about Python and Ruby code, but didn't have much time to think about
> it.

Hey, David just pinged me about this off-list. My answer on citeproc:

====
The Ruby one is much developed than the Python, and the XSLT MUCH more
developed than the Ruby. I wouldn't bother with either at this point
frankly.

If we get Saxon 8 bundled with OOo (the Sun guy responsible for this
was considering it), citeproc would work there. I know there's the
whole Java issue, but maybe a better first step at least, and with Word
2007, there's now precedent!  And OOo needs to get its act together on
XSLT.
====

The subversion versions of CSL and citeproc are now in sync, and I've
transitioned to using the sort of RDF format I'm wanting to standardize
in ODF. I'm still contemplating some changes to CSL, though I think I
may only bother with that if I can gather some support (from
publishers, and maybe MS) for standardizing CSL.

> I'm thinking about using EndNote for managing a database, even with
> the known limitations. Citation markers will just be hyperlinks, not
> EndNote's so to cite in a word processor you would just link to
> something - ideally a record in an Institutional repository, or a
> local webserver whith all your research stuff in it, but could be to a
> library system, Amazon, whatever. You would need to have a URL for
> every item in the endnote library - not too hard these days. Would
> then use endnote export -> Mods and use Citeproc to format a
> bibliography and the citations, using the URL as a key (hyperlink
> would remain so the citations can be re-formatted).

I'd suggest using uris in general. For reference, here's what my
DocBook citations look like these days:

<citation>
   <biblioref xlink:href=""></citation>

That allows you to resolve the identifiers against any manner of
sources.

Other examples from my collection:

<http://www.users.muohio.edu/darcusb/meta/references/books >

> They key component here is citeproc, hence my question.

Check it out from SVN and let me know if you get stuck.

<http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=117435 >

Bruce