> German "Schlagwort" vs "Stichwort"
I do not know if there is an English equivalent for the two terms. I believe you have in English only keywords, which are actually "Stichwoerter". "Schlagwoerter" would be some kind of keywords, too (like used in Indices), but there is no distinction between the two, as far as I know.

What I want is an amalgam of both, and even more than that. Simple keywords are to primitive and do not offer the wanted advantages when you want to search something. e.g. I recently searched for the term "febrile neutropenia" on Pubmed and retrieved 1883 search results. This search was not the most sensitive, though. Searching for "febrile" and "neutropenia" yields 3500 results. Searching for "fever" and "neutropenia" results in 3283 hits.

As the sensitivity of the search increases, so drops the specificity. Most of those documents would have been useless for me. And by the way, "febrile neutropenia" is not such a common term. If you search for something common, you would have one-two orders of magnitude more search results.

There is definitively the need for something better, and I believe a form of hierarchical keywords (or tags) could offer some relief, but there is definitely need for a more thorough thought on this subject.

As I described on the wiki page: the endocarditis example (infection of heart valves) - in endocarditis heart valves are most often infected (but not exclusively):
 -- so most of the time endocarditis implies "heart valves", too
-- I may want sometime to search more extensively for heart valves; the option would be to:
 -- add "heart valves" as a keyword to every article on endocarditis;
--- but the keyword list would become very fast a huge list (because I would have to enter other terms as well, like cardiology, various bacteria and many more) --- many terms can be selectively used on some articles, so applying them indiscriminately will result in a severe loss of specificity for the search: --- e.g.: most endocarditis causes bacteremia (bacteria in the blood), yet not all --- bacteremia can also cause endocarditis (i.e. be the reason for endocarditis) --- however I would add bacteremia as a keyword only when specifically studied in the article (to maintain a high specificity) --- yet for a more general search on bacteremia, I would include endocarditis, too, in my search protocol --- of course, the search could often be done without that hierarchical tree, by manually including all the search strings in the query, but the query would look odd and be difficult to understand (and many users wouldn't be able even to write it correctly); you would easy forget to include some indirect search term; - to expand your example: Nonfiction -> Guidebooks -> Cooking -> Asian meals: I may want to specifically search for 'Asian meals'; another time for Cooking (including Asian meals) and still another time !!only!! for 'Guidebooks' (excluding books on Cooking or any other specific 'Guide'-book, i.e. generally on guidebooks). To expand it on endocarditis: I may want to search on endocarditis or infection (including endocarditis and other infections), or more generally articles dealing broadly with infections (but not with specific infections, like endocarditis).

> "Stichworte" are not usually stored hierarchically
- see comment on sensitivity vs specificity: adding every possible keyword to the list would make these lists huge,
- reduce the specificity, and
- it would be notoriously cumbersome to physically add all those keywords to the list (and not to forget one)

I believe that hierarchical keyword lists/ trees could offer a very powerful mechanism for such searches (because one would be able to dynamically change the tree structure to be best suited for the particular search).

Also, this way you do not have always to remember every keyword ("tag") that should be included in the tree (the tree is simply there; no user would create for every new search a new, very different tree; rather, most trees would be used for a number of searches, and a new tree would most often be a tweek of a previous tree, not a de novo invention).

I have over >2500 articles on my PC. They are arranged hierarchically in subdirectories. The problem is:
- articles may belong to more than one directory (aka category)
-- I would like to have more than one tree for my articles, but you can't do this on a filesystem - I need sometime searches on more than one subdirectory from different directory trees (this is indeed difficult to do on a file system) - there are many other limitations, but currently its the best method to organise so many articles

When you have so many articles, the organization of them becomes a real nightmare.

I believe that hierarchical keywords are a good start (!!and I do not have any better idea right know!!). Therefore, I believe that a little brainstorming would be quite useful.