> One small question: many articles are published  ahead of print. Do they
> have an ISBN? Or is the ISBN available only after publishing in written
> format? Does anyone know more exactly how this EPUB works?

from talking to the eprints guy at my former university, I understood
that it boils down to the following:

- a publication is any written work that is available to the public. You
  may argue about the poster put up in your neighbourhood, but anything
  freely available via http is definitely published. If you delete your
  website, it has a status similar to a book out of print.

  This has *nothing* do to with academic merit, obviously, but think of
  glossy magazines...

- ISBN and ISSN numbers are a system between publishing houses,
  stockists and book shops to uniquely identify things to be sold. ISBN
  numbers are allocated to publishing houses in bulk, for a minor fee.
  Your university library probably has an allocation and could provide
  you with a number, only that they might be concerned about an
  efficient procedure regarding requests from book shops if they're not
  handling the printing etc themselves.

  Things that have an ISBN number are certainly published, but it would
  be mistaken to infer the opposite regarding works that do not. You can
  put an ISBN number on a PDF you put up on your website, but it makes
  little sense

Florian