On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Venkateswara Rao Jujjuri
<jujj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we have a doc to put all these things? Thread has grown enough to cause
> confusion.
I created a github project earlier today. We can manage the different
streams of work from there. Each stream should have a doc though.

https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/projects/1

> Immediate things.
> 1. Don't assume new bookie if journal dir is empty.
I've already created an issue for this.

> 2. Put cookies through bookie format, and bookie never boots on an empty
> cookie or mismatched cookie.
The reason it was like this in the first place was for backward
compatibility I think. If a bookie was upgraded from the software that
didn't have cookies, the cookies would be created automatically.
Perhaps this would have been better if it was a "format" like command
that would create the cookies on old bookies, but we didn't think of
it at the time. If we change the cookies, we'd probably need to add an
upgrade command also.

Let's discuss more in a doc.

> 3. We can live with operations procedure to deal with incarnation issue.
> Infact we run an automated bookie decomm script which runs through the
> entire metadata and makes sure that the bookie is not part of any ledger.
>
> For next step:
> 1. Establish incarnation support.
> 2. Deal with bitrot.
>
> Makes sense?