> I don't fully understand how the cluster-wide version work here, specially
> how do clients react when people use the tool to bump the version in ledger
> layout.

Clients don't have to react immediately. The cluster-wide setting is
the max _allowable_ format version. When it gets bumped, for example
from 2 to 3, clients that started when the value was 2 can continue to
write metadata in format 2, and all clients will will be able to read
it. Clients start after the bump can start to write in format 3. There
is currently nothing to motivate moving to version 3, but when we do
add something to the metadata protobuf, we will be able to have
clients read all the fields (even if it doesn't recognise it all).

> IMO a client setting is probably good enough and more flexible for people
> to control the upgrade stories and there will no surprises, since the
> version is controlled by the bookkeeper "writers".

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Client conf based gives more
power to users, but also requires more coordination among all users.
Clusterwide allows it to be set at a central authority, but that gives
users less freedom. Both have merits. How common is it for users from
different organisations to share ledgers?

-Ivan