Github user aledsage commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/330

    Ok, I'll just change the effector parameter to type `String`. That's good
enough in my use-case because it's just for a test. (As for the more general
use-case, it's for when invoking the effector from the web-console: I can
supply a String, but can't supply a `byte[]`. So one could invoke some http
POST requests through the web-console if we supported `String->byte[]`
conversion, but would need to drop into the REST api for values that are not
simple strings).

    I will close this PR as it's not worth the hassle, particularly given it's
a bit controversial what the right thing is.

---
with INFRA.
---