Hi,

I'd like to bring attention to a new feature I suggested in BROOKLYN-460 [1] and [2]. Current requirement is to be able to supply String tags in an entity spec in YAML so it can be then retrieved via REST API with GET /v1/applications/<appId>/entities/<entityId>/tags.

Example usage in a YAML blueprint:
services:
- type: org.apache.brooklyn.entity.software.base.VanillaSoftwareProcess
  brooklyn.tags:
  - tag1
  - "2"
  - hello world

Please shout if you have further requirements for brooklyn.tags.

Main concern raised in [2] comments is whether that syntax should support any Object as a tag.

My concern is that although Object is allowed
in Apache Brooklyn only classes defined in org.apache.brooklyn.core.mgmt.BrooklynTags are used as a tag.
Every entity has this tag at the moment:
[{"kind":"yaml_spec","contents":"services:\n- type......"}]

That is good since REST query for tags in every entity will have "kind" field which someone can rely on. Good use case is to very easy filter out kind -> yaml_spec and making sure user can retrieve only tags assigned in YAML.
That's why I decided to follow the same pattern and in YAML and accept
string values only which are then passed to org.apache.brooklyn.core.mgmt.BrooklynTags.newNotesTag in order to keep existing pattern with "kind" and "contents" fields for every tag.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BROOKLYN-460
[2] https://github.com/apache/brooklyn-server/pull/612

--
Valentin Aitken