I think if you make the column optional the validator will let you omit it from
the INSERT. (It’s not really optional, but it has a default value, which is
similar.)

And you’ll need to provide a different value for
SqlToRelConverter.defaultValueFactory so that the column gets populated with
the correct expression. See the changes I made to SqlToRelConverter to fix
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-505