From: Julian Hyde [mailto:jh...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2017 5:05 AM
To: dev@calcite.apache.org
Cc: Timo Walther <twal...@apache.org>
Subject: Re: Null literals in AggregateReduceFunctionsRule

Adding a cast around the null literal makes sense. I would use
“rexBuilder.makeCast(type, constantNull())” rather than
“rexBuilder.makeNullLiteral(type.getSqlTypeName())” because there’s a chance
that the type needs precision & scale.

Can you please create a Calcite jira case and submit a pull request?

And by the way, I think I see similar patterns in
AggregateExpandDistinctAggregatesRule, AggregateValuesRule and even
RexBuilder.makeOver.

Julian