> On Mar 20, 2017, at 12:14 AM, Hussain Pirosha <hussain.piro...@impetus.co.in>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks Julian.
>
> Spending more time with calcite code on computing cost, I have few questions.
>
> 1. The cost of the plan is the sum of all the  converted (datasource
> specific) RelNodes ?

Yes. The cost of a plan is the sum of the costs of its constituent RelNodes.

> 2. the computeSelfCost method shall calculate the cost by using the
> RelMetaDataQuery. Can you point to some example or impl where RelMetaData has
> been implemented or can be used as a reference?

Not sure what you mean. There is no “RelMetaData” class or interface.

RelMetadataTest should give you some clues (especially if you run it in a
debugger).

I’m not the best person to write the documentation you need. Has anyone
implemented a metadata provider in a project that uses Calcite? If so, please
share what worked.