Here is a suggestion for how to organize this. Avoid the temptation to write a
long list of instructions that anticipates everything that can go wrong. Write
a much shorter, simpler account that will work for 90% of people 90% of the
time. Then have a separate entry in the same HOWTO dealing with the many 10%s,
e.g. “Why can my IDE not find ExtensionSqlParserImpl.java?” If someone is in
the 10%, they will find it easily when they search for the error message.

In essence, this is case-based reasoning, and the howto is a knowledge-base of
small (symptom, problem, solution) articles.